Fighting Fascist Spain -- The Exhibits is an online collection and interpretive exhibits that recover, preserve, and make available US Hispanic antifascist print culture. FFSTE visualizes workers' protest fashioned by the alternative intellectual, cultural, and political traditions and institutions: grassroots associations, the alternative press, and the comic and farcical theater. All of which provided opportunities for antifascist activism in the United States.
Periodical research diversifies antifascist studies by including migrants and radical workers in the cultural and historical discourse. Therefore, FFSTE becomes a US Hispanic Antifascist hub to support antifascist researchers, descendants, and the general interested public in their efforts to:
- recover information on victims of fascism and their allies
- express historical justice
- dignify the victims' and antifascists' voices and perspectives
The Exhibit does not merely recover evidence of workers’ antifascist visual culture but helps articulate how their politics and culture shaped knowledge from below. This digital collection not only recovers grassroots efforts but also local and global networks of political protest and solidarity. Texts and images in US Spanish-language periodicals include but are not limited to:
- Print Culture: editors and regular sections and contributors
- Extraordinary Communities: announcements and photographs of rallies and demonstrations, photographs, and obituaries of demonstrators
- Antifascist Stage: announcements of cultural fundraisers and antifascist plays, photographs, and obituaries of participants
- Graphic Arts: drawings, photographs, and obituaries of artists
Curator: Montse Feu
How to cite the project: Montse Feu. "Fighting Fascist Spain --The Exhibits." Recovering the US Hispanic Literary Heritage Digital Collections. http://usldhrecovery.uh.edu/exhibits/show/fighting-fascist-spain--the-ex. Accessed [DATE].
Funded by: 2020 Grants-in-aid of the US Latino Digital Humanities (USLDH) program ($7,500; Technical Assistant Jenny Patlan); Summer 2021 FAST SHSU Award ($10,000; Research Assistants Diego Colindres, Bailey Mills, Abigail Schafer); Fall 2021, ORSP, $3,600 RA-Abigail Schafer, Bailey Mills.
This site is for educational and research purposes only **FAIR USE** Copyright Disclaimer under section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for “fair use” for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, education and research.
#FFSTE Fighting Fascist Spain -- The Exhibits
#USLFF US Latinx Fighting Fascism
#SHC Sociedades Hispanas Confederadas